Indiana's Health Insurance Mandate for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASDs) under Indiana State Law
In July 2001, House Enrollment Act 1122 went into effect as Indiana Code 27-8-14.2, mandating insurance coverage for
individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders for any accident or health policy that is issued on a group basis (large or small).
Also, insurer's selling individual policies must offer the option to include coverage for ASD.
To find a copy of the Insurance Mandate for ASDs:
1. Go to www.IN.gov/legislative
2. Choose "Laws and Administrative Rules."
3. Choose "Indiana Code."
Scroll down to the four small empty boxes.
5. Enter 27 in the first box; 8 in the second box; 14.2 in the third
box and leave the fourth blank.
6. Enter Go.
In addition, the American
Academy of Pediatrics currently recommends the following therapies below that are generally accepted by insurance companies
1. Behavioral Training and Behavioral Management.
2. Speech Therapy
4. Physical Therapy.
5. Medications to address symptoms of ASD-including risperidone, prozac, melatonin